HAFAS or “The Prop”

The Honorable Association of the Fractured Air Screw (HAFAS), otherwise known as "The Prop" is an award reserved for those pilots who have made a mistake in an airplane and survived.
HAFAS awardees (Honorable Association of the Fractured Air Screw)
Bob Allegre (Deceased)
Greg Austin (Deceased)
Bruce Bennett & Larry Brons ran Beech jet off the runway at Sun River
Gordon Bennett (Deceased)
Frank Berger Threw his towbar in frustration; towbar lost on the roof of the hangar
Doug Black (Deceased)
Bob Blodgett (Deceased)
Dr. Bovard (Deceased) Clipped a power line with his tailwheel in RV 4. Got mad at being awarded the prop; quit the club. Later died of heart attack on take off roll trying to fly home to take care of his chest pain
Ed Buckwell  (Deceased) propped his Debonaire and it ran into a hangar
Phil Carrell   (Deceased) Landed Stinson on highway; Bellied in a Bonanza
Scott Carpenter  (Astronaut) Accident with a TV 2 NASA Astronaut (Former)
Scott Carpenter, a dynamic pioneer of modern exploration, has the unique distinction of being the first human ever to penetrate both inner and outer space, thereby acquiring the dual title, Astronaut/Aquanaut. Born in Boulder, Colorado, on May 1, 1925, the son of a research chemist Dr. M. Scott Carpenter and Florence Kelso Noxon Carpenter. He attended the University of Colorado from 1945 to 1949 and received a bachelor of science degree in Aeronautical Engineering.
Carpenter was commissioned in the U.S. Navy in 1949. He was given flight training at Pensacola, Florida and Corpus Christi, Texas and designated a Naval Aviator in April, 1951. During the Korean War he served with patrol Squadron Six, flying anti-submarine, ship surveillance, and aerial mining, and ferret missions in the Yellow Sea, South China Sea, and the Formosa Straits. He attended the Navy Test Pilot School at Patuxent River, Maryland, in 1954 and was subsequently assigned to the Electronics Test Division of the Naval Air Test Center, also at Patuxent. In that assignment he flew tests in every type of naval aircraft, including multi- and single-engine jet and propeller-driven fighters, attack planes, patrol bombers, transports, and seaplanes. From 1957 to 1959 he attended the Navy General Line School and the Navy Air Intelligence School and was then assigned as Air Intelligence Officer to the Aircraft Carrier, USS Hornet.  Carpenter was selected as one of the original seven Mercury Astronauts on April 9, 1959. He underwent intensive training with the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA), specializing in communication and navigation. He served as backup pilot for John Glenn during the preparation for America’s 1st manned orbital space flight -Feb '62.
 Carpenter flew the second American manned orbital flight on May 24, 1962. He piloted his Aurora 7 spacecraft through three revolutions of the earth, reaching a maximum altitude of 164 miles. The spacecraft landed in the Atlantic Ocean about 1000 miles southeast of Cape Canaveral after 4 hours and 54 minutes of flight time and was picked up by the WWII aircraft carrier USS Intrepid CVS-11.
On leave of absence from NASA, Carpenter participated in the Navy’s Man-in the-Sea Project as an Aquanaut in the SEALAB II program off the coast of La Jolla, California, in the summer of 1965. During the 45-day experiment,   Carpenter spent 30 days living and working on the ocean floor. He was team leader for two of the three ten-man teams of Navy and civilian divers who conducted deep-sea diving activities in a seafloor habitat at a depth of 205 feet.
He returned to duties with NASA as Executive Assistant to the Director of the Manned Spaceflight Center and was active in the design of the Apollo Lunar Landing Module and in underwater extravehicular activity (EVA) crew training. In 1967, he returned to the Navy’s Deep Submergence Systems Project (DSSP) as Director of Aquanaut Operations during the SEALAB III experiment. (The DSSP office was responsible for directing the Navy’s Saturation Diving Program, which included development of deep-ocean search, rescue, salvage, ocean engineering, and Man-in-the-Sea capabilities.) Upon retirement from the Navy in 1969,after twenty-five years of service, Carpenter founded and was chief executive officer of Sear Sciences, Inc., a venture capital corporation active in developing programs aimed at enhanced utilization of ocean resources and improved health of the planet. In pursuit of these and other objectives, he worked closely with the French oceanographer J.Y. Cousteau and members of his Calypso team. He has dived in most of the world’s oceans, including the Arctic under ice. As a consultant to sport and professional diving equipment manufacturers, he has contributed to design improvements in diving instruments, underwater breathing equipment, swimmer propulsion units, small submersibles, and other underwater devices. Additional projects brought to fruition by his innovative guidance have involved biological pest control and the production of energy from agricultural and industrial waste. He has also been instrumental in the design and improvement of several types of waste handling and waste-transfer equipment.
 Carpenter continues to apply his knowledge of aerospace and ocean engineering as a consultant to industry and the private sector. He lectures frequently in the U.S. and abroad on the history and future of ocean and space technology, the impact of scientific and technological advance on human affairs, and man’s continuing search for excellence. An avid skier, he spends much of his free time on the slopes in his home of Vail, Colorado, his home for the past fifteen years.
He has appeared as television spokesman for many major corporations, including General Motors (Oldsmobile), standard Oil of California, Nintendo, and Atari; and has hosted and narrated a number of television documentaries. He has also served as actor/consultant to the film industry in the fields of space flight, oceanography, and the global environment.
He has written two novels, both dubbed “underwater techno-thrillers.” The first was entitled “The Steel Albatross.” The second, a sequel, was called “Deep Flight.” His memoir, “For Spacious Skies” which he co-authored with his daughter, Kristen Stoever, was published by Harcourt in January 2003.
Carpenter’s awards include the Navy’s Legion of Merit, the Distinguished Flying Cross, the NASA Distinguished Service Medal, U.S. Navy Astronaut Wings, the University of Colorado Recognition Medal, the Collier Trophy, the New York City Gold Medal of Honor, the Elisha Kent Kane Medal, the Ustica Gold Trident, and the Boy Scouts of America Silver Buffalo. He has been awarded seven honorary degrees.
Dewey Conroy  landed hard 6/8/05, wheels up through the wings, took off again, broke everything the second landing incl all 3 prop blades, caught on film by KGW news crew. In Jerry Dale’s Miya which he couldn’t sell to anyone
Kieth Crimmin  (FAA Safety officer) Flew glider into Power lines at Eagle airport; Blacked out 2000 homes.       
Roger Dion (2)  (Deceased) Baron accident
Paul Emerick  (Deceased)
Lloyd Ericsson (Deceased) Lloyd was an aviation lawyer. He told us the last words on every single black box recovered is, “Oh shit.”
Rich Finley (Cook) driving accident coming home from cooking dinner at club
Phil Fogg  2/22/08 fueled his L-39 jet himself and did not remove fueling mat which the engine ingested on take off roll. Stopped. New engine needed;
Landed wheels down in borrowed amphibian in the river and nosed over inverted; barely escaped, 2/20/11
Earle Freedman (Deceased)
Tim Gabler wingtip in the bramble bushes 5/20/10
Roger Giles Mistakenly landed on a road instead of field. Wrecked his Twin Comanche
Guy Gorrell EXONERATED of blame. Charged with running his float plane on rocks and puncturing a float in B.C. Claim that float was punctured by a male sealion’s sexual assault which mistook it for a beautiful female sealion was believed by the jury of his peers. (Amid gales of laughter.)
Bill Granewich Sheared the gear off a Citation at Punta Pescadero in 2006
 Dropped landing gear in the mud at Aurora Dec 2008; towed back out onto taxiway
Jim Graves  Ran out of gas in a float plane; Groudlooped his Pacer 5/11. Groundlooped his Debonair 5/2012. Wife persuaded him to give up flying in 2013.
Dennis Griffith  (guest) smashed a runway light landing airport near Lake Okeechobee
Jim Gustafson  Nose gear would not come down; Co-pilot (Sayler) managed to
   extend  the main gear leaning out and getting his belt around it (Cardinal RV)
Leonard Hall Taxied with the tail tie down still attached to cement block
Al Haner (Deceased)
Dan Hanna  (Deceased)
Vic Hefferin
Jim Helander Interrupted the weather report on the radio to ask what the weather forecast was
Merv Henkes Gear up Bonanza at Aurora
Ken Heuvel   (Deceased) Cast off  & Drifted out into the Columbia River locked out on his pontoon with the FAA inspector with him  (My personal favorite because he got the FAA inspector to paddle back to the dock while he sat in the pilot’s seat and steered.)
Paul Heys
Norris  Hibbler  Prop fell off experimental plane in flight over Redding, CA; landed on a strawberry field, just missing some power lines.
Peter Hoff 1. Gear up landing narrowly averted at Aurora. Witness radioed at last minute. Greg Mottau asked him 3 times if the gear was down and he replied in the affirmative, but it wasn’t.
2. Close call vented fuel due to loose caps on IFR flight to Aurora from Bend 6/16/2010. bought 77 gal
Gale Jacobs Taxied Cardinal into a ditch at Aurora.
Jake Jacobson Dragged a wingtip in 180 w crosswind gusty landing. Award pending; Later was copilot on wheels up. (see Zurcher) Subsequently jailed in Texas on a felony charge.
Eldon Jenne hand propped Bonanza; taxied fast. Leaped a fence and hit a cow. Eldon flew the P-47 Thunderbolt in WWII in Europe.
Col. Ken Jernstedt crashed P-40 Warhawk in China, took off from improvised base not totally repaired and just made it to base.
David Jinings Wheels up Malibu at Independence during demo flight.
Hank Jinings  Dinged prop taxiing in tall grass; hit a cement bucket used as a tiedown
Martin Johnson  (Deceased) failed to secure baggage compartment door in rented aircraft on departure from Siletz Bay. Wife panicked at the noise when it flew open during IFR climb out. (Never awarded)
Kip Kappler (Deceased) Bellied in his Navion
Jack Kahle 1. Smashed nose gear of Cessna 206 landing at Chehalis 2/04
Jack joined the ranks of illustrious aviators whose names are inscribed on our broken propeller by landing his Glasscar heavily nosewheel first twisting it into a pretzel. May 2006. Early viewers may see the result up on a sawhorse at Lenhart’s airport. Numerous “squealers” made it impossible to avoid publicity for the event. Remember, as an old aviation saying goes, the number of witnesses is directly proportional to the stupidity of the act.
2. Control yoke c 3/8 inch hole bored thru it broke off
Bill Kinney Took off with 4 passengers from Bob Stark’s airport in 2009 with his gas cap not secured. He promptly vented all his fuel and had to land in a farmer’s field and call Bob Stark to bring over some more fuel.
Nobody was hurt. So that his passengers would not be frightened as he was landing he told them that since he had not had any breakfast he was going to land and get breakfast before continuing the sightseeing trip to Mt St Helens. One of the passengers, when once on the ground, looked around her in the middle of the farmer’s field, and asked where the restaurant was. We should get the prop for her too, but she doesn’t speak English, so it would pose a difficulty, explaining that too, I suppose. After refueling, he took off again and took his employees up to see Mt St Helens after all. And no breakfast was ever served on the whole trip.
Milt Kingsland Set off his ELT alarm and CAP traced it to his hangar at midnight
Monte Kirsch (Lyle Bower’s friend) Put a 180 in the ditch at Long Beach (WA) airport
Dennis Kranz Wheels up landing MU2 at Scottsdale, AZ 1985
Valery Kubasov (Russian cosmonaut)  Chewed tail off German plane with prop after    ammo ran out (These two Russians were told about the HAFAS  award and begged to be allowed to be on it.)
Bob Lansburg at Aurora wheels up 1995
John Lear Crashed Buker during low pull out in Switzerland. I learned to fly at Clover Field in Santa Monica when I was 14. However before I got to get in an actual airplane Dad made me take 40 hours of Link with Charlie Gress. I can't remember what I did yesterday but I guarantee you I could still shoot a 90 degree, Fade-out or Parallel radio
Range orientation. When I turned 16 I had endorsements on my student license for an Aero Commander 680E and Cessna 310.
I got my private at 17 and instrument rating shortly thereafter. The Lockheed 18 Lodestar was my first type rating at age 18. I went to work for my father and brother flying copilot on a twin beech out of Geneva Switzerland after I got out of high school. Dad was over there trying to peddle radios to the European airlines.
However just after I turned 18 and got my Commercial I was showing off my aerobatic talents in a Bucker Jungmann to my friends at a Swiss boarding school I had attended. I managed to start a 3 turn spin from too low an
Altitude and crashed. I shattered both heels and ankles and broke both legs in 3 places. I crushed my neck, broke both sides of my jaw and lost all of my front teeth. I managed to get gangrene in one of the open wounds
In my ankles and was shipped from Switzerland to the Lovelace Clinic in Albuquerque where Randy Lovelace made me well.
When I could walk again I worked selling pots and pans door to door in
Santa Monica. In late 1962 Dad had moved from Switzerland to Wichita to build the Lear Jet and I went to Wichita to begin work in Public relations until November of 1963 about 2 months after the first flight when I moved
To Miami and took over editing an aviation newspaper called Aero News. I
Moved the newspaper to El Segundo in California and ran it until it failed. I then got a job flight instructing at Progressive Air Service in Hawthorne, California. From there I went to Norman Larson Beechcraft in Van Nuys flight instructing in Ercoupes.
In the spring of 1965 I was invited by my Dad back to Wichita to get type rated in the model 23 Learjet. I then went to work for the executive aircraft division of Flying Tigers in Burbank who had secured a dealership
For the Lear.
In November of 1965 my boss Paul Kelly crashed number 63 into the mountains at Palm Springs killing everybody on board including Bob Prescott’s 13 years old son and 4 of the major investors in Tigers. I took over his job as President of Airjet charters a wholly owned subsidiary of FTL and flew charters and sold Lears. Or rather tried to sell them. It
Turns out that I never managed to sell one Learjet in my entire life.
In March of 1966 2 Lear factory pilots Hank Beaird, Rick King and myself set 17 world speed records including speed around the round the world, 65 hours and 38 minutes in the first Lear Jet 24. Shortly after that flight I
Got canned from Tigers and moved to Vegas and started the first 3rd level airline in Nevada, Ambassador Airlines. We operated an Aero Commander and Cherokee 6 on 5 stops from Las Vegas to LAX. This was about the time
Howard Hughes moved to Las Vegas and I was doing some consulting work for
Bob and Peter Maheu.
The money man behind Ambassador was Jack Cleveland who I introduced to
John Myers in the Hughes organization. Cleveland and Myers tried to peddle
The 135 certificate to Hughes without success and Jack ended up selling Howard those phony gold mining claims you all may remember. I went back to Van Nuys and was flying Lear charter part time for Al Paulson and Clay
Lacy at California Airmotive, the Learjet distributor.
That summer I started a business called Aerospace Flight Research in Van Nuys were I rented aircraft to Teledyne to flight test their Inertial Guidance Systems. We had a B-26, Super Pinto and Twin Beech. I think we
Lasted about 4 months.
I then went to work for World Aviation Services in Ft. Lauderdale ferrying the Cessna O2 FAC airplanes from Wichita, fresh of the assembly line to Nha Trang in Viet Nam with fellow QB Bill Werstlein. We were under the 4440th ADG Langley VA. and hooked up with a lot of other military pilots ferrying all manner and types of aircraft.
Our route was Wichita to Hamilton, Hickam, Midway, Wake, Guam, Clark and then in country. The longest leg was Hamilton to Hickam an average of 16 hours, no autopilot, no copilot, and one ADF. We also had 3 piddle packs.
Arriving in Nha Trang we would hitch a ride to Saigon and spend 3 days under technical house arrest, each trip, pay a fine for entering the country illegally, that is being civilians and not coming through a port of entry, catch an airline up to Hong Kong for a little R and R and
straight back to Wichita for another airplane I flew this contract for 4 years.
During some off time in 1968 I attempted to ferry a Cessna 320 from Oakland to Australia with the first stop in Honolulu. About 2 hours out from Oakland I lost the right engine and had no provisions for dumping fuel. I went down into ground effect (T effect for you purists) and for 3 hours and 21 minutes flew on one engine about 25 feet above the waves and made it into Hamilton AFB after flying under the Golden Gate and Richmond bridges. An old friend Nick Conte, was officer of the day and gave me the
royal treatment. Why did I go into Hamilton instead of Oakland? I knew exactly where the O club was for some much needed refreshment.
In September of 1968 between 0-2 deliveries I raced a Douglas B-26 Invader in the Reno Air Races. It was the largest airplane ever raced at Reno, and I placed 5th in the Bronze passing one Mustang . It was reported to me after the race by XB-70 project pilot Col. Ted Sturmthal that when I passed the P-51, 3 fighter pilots from Nellis committed suicide off the back of the grandstands. In the summer of 1970 I helped Darryl Greenamyer and Adam Robbins put on the California 1000 air race in Mojave California.
That's the one where Clay Lacy raced the D7. I flew a B-26 with Wally McDonald.
I then started flying charter in an Aero Commander and Beech Queen Air for
Aero Council a charter service out of Burbank. They went belly up about 3 months later and I went up to Reno to work for my Dad as safety pilot on his Lear model 25. After my Dad fired me I was personally escorted to the Nevada/California border by an ex-Los Angeles police detective who worked for Dad and did the muscle work.
I went back down to Van Nuys and was Chief Pilot for Lacy Aviation and was one of the first pilot proficiency examiners for the Lear Jet. In the summer of 1973 I moved to Phnom Penh, Cambodia as Chief Pilot and Director of Operations for Tri Nine Airlines which flew routes throughout Cambodia forKhmer Akas Air.
I flew a Convair 440 an average of 130 hours a month. We had unlimited quantities of 115/145 fuel and ADI and were able to use full CB-17 power (which was 62" for any of you R-2800 aficionados). In November of 1973 I
moved to Vientianne, Laos and flew C-46's and Twin Otters for Continental Air Services Inc. delivering guns and ammo to the Gen. Vang Pao and his CIA supported troops.
We got shot down one day and when I say we, Dave Kouba was the captain. We were flying a twin otter and got the right engine shot out. Actually the small arms fire had hit the fuel line in the right strut and fuel was streaming out back around the tail and being sucked into the large cargo opening in the side of the airplane and filling the cockpit with a fine mist of jet fuel.
I held the mike in my hands, "Should I call Cricket and possibly blow us up or…?" (Some of you may remember "Cricket"… "This is Cricket on guard with an air strike warning to all aircraft".) But Davy found us a friendly dirt strip and we were back in the air the next day. When the war came to an end in 1973 I moved back to Van Nuys and started flying Lears for Lacy again until October when I went up to Seattle and sat in on a Boeing 707 ground school for Air Club International on spec.
3 weeks later I ended up in the left seat of the 707 with a total of 8 hours in type. Air Club begat Aero America and we flew junkets out of
Vegas for the Tropicana and Thunderbird Hotels. I left Aero having not been fired and in the summer of 1975 I was Director of Ops for Ambassador Airlines flying 707 junkets also out of Vegas. After that airline collapsed I moved to Beirut, Lebanon in September of 1975 and flew 707's for 2 years for Trans Mediterranean Airways a Lebanese cargo carrier. It was a very interesting job in that they had 65 stations around the world and you would leave Beirut with a copilot that had maybe 200 hours
in airplanes and fortunately a first rate plumber and off you'd go around the world. My favorite run was Dubai to Kabul, Afghanistan with a stop in Kandahar. Kabul is a one way strip, land uphill and take off downhill, it was 6000 foot elevation with no navaids.
During those 2 years I made many round the world trips and many over the pole trips. In 1977 I moved back to Vegas and was Director of Operations for Nevada Airlines flying DC-3's and Twin Beech's to the Canyon. In September of 77 I was called to Budapest for another CIA operation flying 707's loaded with arms and ammo to Mogadishu.
Leaving Budapest then refueling in Jeddah we flew radio silence down the Red Sea trying to avoid the MiGs based in Aden, whose sole purpose on earth was to force us down. The briefing was simple. If you guys get into
trouble DON'T CALL US. Back to Vegas in December of that year I was hired as Chief Pilot for Bonanza Airlines operating DC-3's and a Gulfstream 1 from Vegas to Aspen.
After that airline collapsed I was hired by Hilton Hotels to fly their Lear 35A. In my spare time I flew part time for Dynalectron and the EPA on
an underground nuke test monitoring program. I flew their B-26, OV-10, Volpar Beech and Huey helicopter. I also flew the Tri Motor Ford part time for Scenic Airlines. In 1978 my Dad passed away and his will left me with one dollar, which incidentally, I never got.
In 1980 I ran for the Nevada State Senate district 4. I lost miserably only because I was uninformed, unprepared and both of my size 9 triple E's were continually in my mouth.
I got fired from Hilton shortly after that and moved to Cairo, Egypt to fly for Air Trans another CIA cutout. After the Camp David accords were signed in 1979 each country, Egypt and Israel were required to operate 4 flights a week into the others country. Of course, El Al pilots didn't mind flying into Cairo but you could not find an Egyptian pilot that would fly into Tel Aviv. So an Egyptian airline was formed called Nefertiti Airlines with me as chief pilot to fly the 4 flights a week into Tel Aviv. On our off time we flew subcontract for Egyptair throughout Europe and Africa. All this, of course was just a cover for our real missions which was all kinds of nefarious gun running throughout Europe and Africa which we did in our spare time.
And now that our beloved 40th president has passed on I can tell you that in fact (with my apologies to Michael Reagan) the October Surprise was true. The October surprise for those of you that don't remember happened during October of 1980 when Reagan and Bush were running against Carter and Mondale. George Bush was flown in a BAC 111 one Saturday night to Paris to meet with the Ayatollah Khomeini. Bush offered the Khomeini a deal whereby if he would delay the release of the hostages held in Tehran until Reagans inauguration, the administration would supply unlimited guns and ammunition to the Iranians. In order to get Bush back for a Sunday morning brunch so that nobody would be alerted to his absence he was flown back in an SR-71 from Reims field near Paris to McGuire AFB. Of course Reagan won, the hostages were
released and one of my jobs in Cairo was to deliver those arms from Tel Aviv to Tehran.
Unfortunately, the first airplane in, an Argentinean CL-44 was shot down by the Russians just south of Yerevan and Mossad who was running the operation didn't want to risk sending my 707. The arms where eventually delivered through Dubai, across the Persian Gulf and directly into Terhan.
During the 2 years I was in Cairo I averaged 180 hours a month with a top month of 236 hours in a 31day period. I spent a 6 week tour in Khartoum flying cows to Saana, North Yemen in an old Rolls Royce powered 707.
Back in Las Vegas in December of 1982 I sat on my ass until I was out of money, again, and then went to work for Global Int'l Airlines in Kansas City, another CIA cutout run by Farhad Azima, an Iranian with a bonafide Gold Plated Get Out of Jail Free card flying 707's until they collapsed in October of 83.
During the summer of 1983 the FAA celebrated its 25th Anniversary at the Mike Monroney Aeronautical Center in Oklahoma City. There was much fanfare and speech making and 2 honored guests. Bill Conrad from Miami, Florida who had the most type ratings, I think over 50. And myself. I had the most airman certificates issued of any other airman.
After Global's collapse I went to work for American Trans Air flying 707's. I wrote their international navigation manual as MNPS for North Atlantic operations was just being implemented and became the first FAA designated check airman for MNPS navigation. ATA then added 727's and then Lockheed L-1011's. For a very brief time I was qualified as captain in all three.
After getting fired from ATA in July of 1989 I became a freight dog flying DC-8's for Rosenbalm Aviation which became Flagship Express and after that airline collapsed I was hired as Chief pilot for Patriot Airlines out of Stead Field in Reno, flying cargo 727's from Miami to South America. After getting fired from Patriot I went to work for Connie Kalitta flying DC-8s then the L-1011 on which I was a check airman. Kalitta sold out to Kitty Hawk International which went bankrupt in May of 2000.
I was 57 at the time and nobody is going to hire an old f*ck for two and a half years except to fly sideways as a FE so I turned in my stripes and ever present flask of Courvoisier. Except for one last fling in March of 2001 where I flew the Hadj for a Cambodian Airline flying L-1011's under contract to Air India. We were based in New Delhi and flew to Jeddah from all throughout India. There was absolutely no paperwork, no FAA, no BS and for 6 weeks we just moved Hadji's back and forth to Saudi Arabia.
One final note, in October of 1999 I had the honor and extreme pleasure to get checked out in a Lockheed CF-104D Starfighter. My instructor was Darryl Greenamyer, the airplane was owned by Mark and Gretchen Sherman of
Phoenix. It was the highlight of my aviation career particularly because I survived my first and only SFO in a high performance fighter.
One other thing, somehow I managed to get the following type ratings:
Boeing 707/720/727, Convair 240/340/440, DC-3, DC-8, B-26, Gulfstream 1,
Lockheed Constellation, Lear Jet series, HS-125, Lockheed L-1011, Lockheed
L-18, Lockheed P-38, Martin 202/404, B-17, B-25, Grumman TBM and Ford Trimotor.
 I also have single and multi engine sea, rotorcraft helicopter and gyroplane, and lighter than air free balloon. I never got all categories having missed the Airship. And in case you are interested many, many airmen have lots more type ratings. What I did get, that no other airman got, was most FAA certificates: These are: the ATP, Flight Instructor with airplane single and multi engine, instrument, rotorcraft helicopter and gyroplane and glider. Flight Navigator, Flight Engineer, Senior Parachute Rigger, Control Tower Operator, A&P, Ground Instructor, Advanced and Instrument and Aircraft Dispatcher.
I have 19,488 hours of Total time of which 15,325 hours is in 1,2,3 or 4 engine jet. I took a total of 181 FAA (or designated check airman) check rides and failed only 2. Of the thousands of times I knowingly violated a FAA regulation I was only caught once but never charged or prosecuted.
The farthest I have ever been off course was 321 miles to the left over the South China Sea in a 707 on New Year’s day 1977 on a flight from Taipei to Singapore. The deviation was not caught by Hong Kong, Manila or Singapore radar and I penetrated six different zero to unlimited restricted areas west of the Philippines. I landed in Singapore 7 minutes late without further incident. How, you ask, did I get so far off course? The short answer is I was napping at the controls. I have flown just about everywhere except Russia, China, Mongolia, Korea, Antarctica, Australia or New Zealand. I am a senior vice-commander of the American Legion Post No1 Shanghai, China (Generals Ward, Chennault and Helseth) (operating in exile) and a 21 year member of the Special Operations Association. Now some of you may be asking why so many airlines collapsed that I worked for and why I got fired so many times. My excuse is simple. I am not the brightest crayon in the box, I am extremely lazy, I have a smart mouth and a real poor attitude
Cliff Low  Bonanza accident
Jim Matsies Dinged a rental car mirror while on a fly-out. Not an airplane accident.
Earle May (Deceased) 1.Taxied into mud at Rancho El Cypres Mexico with a 500B Commander
2.  Dinged the prop of a Baron on a rock at Roche Harbor
3. Helped shear the gear off a Citation at Punta Pescadero 2006
Roger May 1. Safety pilot when Dennis Kranz landed gear up in MU2 at Scottsdale
2. Backed an elevator into something (hangar maybe?) 1985
3. Collapsed nose gear of a 421 on a Mexican dirt strip.
Bill McDonald   Event happened in 1998 or 1999. Cessna 150 rented from Aero Maintenance at Pearson Field. I believe Bill was solo and made a low, slow carrier approach to runway 25 at Port of Camas-Washougal airport. He caught the tail section on the first (only) wire which was the airport fence and slammed onto the runway. Damage: including but not limited to the following: Nose gear and firewall, prop, engine and tail section.  By an anonymous squealer
Pat McNamee bent connecting rod on 414 by failing to secure the boost pump when simulated engine out, thus flooding cylinder and destroying engine on restart.
Merrill McPeak (USAF Chief of Staff) Pulled wings off an F100 during
  Thunderbirds airshow. Visited us prior to retirement from active duty’ His staff of colonels and captains were aghast, but he lapped it up.
Del Rio could be the movie set of a West Texas border town. It's windy, and the weather tends toward seasonal extremes. A large U.S. Air Force Base 6mi. east of town is named after 1st Lt. Jack T. Laughlin, a B-17 pilot and Del Rio native killed over Java within a few weeks of the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor.
Our Thunderbirds Team flies into Laughlin on Oct. 20, 1967, for an air show the next day, honoring 60 or so lieutenants graduating from pilot training.  We go through the standard pre-show routine. Lead and 5 do their show-line survey, while the rest of us make the rounds of hospital and school visits and give interviews. Next day, proud parents watch as new pilots pin on wings.
At noon, we brief at Base Ops. As usual, an "inspection team" comprising base and local dignitaries joins us for a photo session before we step to
the jets. The film Bandolero! is in production near the base, and its stars, Jimmy Stewart and Raquel Welch, show up in the inspection team. Jimmy Stewart is a USAF Reserve brigadier general, a founder of the Air Force Assn. and a big hero to all of us. Raquel Welch is . . . well, she's Raquel Welch.
We're wearing white show suits, my least-favorite outfit. Lead can choose from among gray, blue, black or white, but today, we look like Good Humor men. Plus, I work hard during the demonstration and sweat soaks my collar. This wouldn't matter much, except we do a lot of taxiing in-trail. With only 6 ft. between the end of my pitot boom and No. 5's afterburner, I take a load of engine exhaust in my cockpit. Soot clings to the dampness, leaving a noticeable "ring around the collar" when I wear white. At Del Rio, I follow my usual routine and roll the collar under once we have taxied away from the crowd. After the show, I'll roll it back out again, the chimney-black still there, but now underneath, out of sight.
We taxi short of the runway for a "quick check" pre-takeoff inspection by a couple of our maintenance troops. As No. 6, I'm flying F-100D serial number 55-3520.
We take the runway, the four-aircraft Diamond in fingertip and Bobby Beckel and I in Element, 500 ft. back. The Diamond releases brakes at precisely 1430. Bobby and I run up engines, my stomach tightening against the surge of isolation and exhilaration that comes before every air show takeoff.
The USAF Thunderbirds flight demonstration team inadvertently uncovered a wing-structure flaw in the supersonic F-100D fighter fleet during a 1967 air show performance. Credit: USAF MUSEUM By this time in the season, the Team is really clicking. We have a lot of shows under our belt and know what we are doing. Twenty-one minutes into the event, it's going well–a nice cadence and rhythm. We approach the climax, the signature Bomb Burst. My job is to put "pigtails" through the separating formation, doing unloaded, Max-rate vertical rolls.
Even a few vertical rolls require establishing a perfect up-line; more than a few also requires starting the rolls with a ton of airspeed. I grab for
altitude as the Diamond pirouettes into the entry for the Bomb Burst, and at just the right moment, dive after them, hiding behind their smoke. Airspeed builds rapidly. I have to be mindful of a hard-and-fast rule: don't go supersonic during an air show. The Thunderbirds switched to the F-100 in 1956, making us the world's first supersonic flying team. The next year, the FAA banned public demonstrations involving supersonic flight. No booming the crowd. So, I want to be subsonic, but just barely–say, Mach 0.99. The biggest mistake I can make is to be early. The Diamond is about to break in all four directions, so if I get there too soon, I don't have an exit strategy. (In a pinch, I'll call the break, rather than wait for Lead to do it.) Today, my timing looks good, so I light the 'burner and start a pull into the vertical. We don't have a solo pilot's handbook, but if we did, it would say this is a 6.5 g pull.
If I get it right, I'll hit the apex of the Bomb Burst 5 sec. after the Diamond separates, snap the throttle out of 'burner to get the smoke going,
be perfectly vertical and very fast. As the Diamond pilots track away from one another to the four points of the compass, I'll put on those lazy,
lovely pigtails. Then I'll get the smoke off and figure out how to do a slow-speed vertical recovery. But at Del Rio, it doesn't turn out right. I
start the aggressive pull into the vertical–and the aircraft explodes.
Now, F-100 pilots are accustomed to loud noises. Even in the best of circumstances, the afterburner can bang pretty hard when it lights off. It's
also fairly common for the engine compressor to stall, sometimes forcing a violent cough of rejected air back up the intake. Flame belches out the oval nose–which will definitely wake you up at night–and the shock can kick your feet off the rudder pedals. Any F-100 pilot who hears a loud "BANG!" automatically thinks, "compressor stall," and unloads the jet to get air traveling down the intake in the right direction. SO, INSTINCTIVELY, the explosion causes me to relax stick-pressure to unload the airplane. By now, I'm fully into one of those fast-forward mental
exercises where seasons compress into seconds, the leaves changing color while you watch. I move the stick forward lethargically, even having time to think, "That's no compressor stall." In retrospect, the airplane had already unloaded itself, making my remedy superfluous, but there was some pilot lore at work here. No matter what else happens, fly the airplane. Forget all that stuff about lift and drag and
thrust and gravity, just fly the damn airplane until the last piece stops moving. Good old 55-3520 has quit flying, but I have not.
Now there's fire, and I don't mean just a little smoke. Flames fill the cockpit. I have to eject. I grab the seat handles and tug them up, firing
the canopy and exposing ejection triggers on each side of the handles. I yank the triggers and immediately feel the seat catapult into the
slipstream. Seat-separation is automatic and too fast to track, the seat disappearing as I curl into a semi-fetal posture to absorb the parachute's
opening shock. Jump school helps here; I congratulate myself on perfect body position. For one elongated moment, I imagine how proud they'd be at Ft. Benning.
Then the chute snaps open–much too quickly–jolting me back to real time and short-circuiting the transition from stark terror to giddy elation, the
evil Siamese twins of parachute jumping. My helmet is missing. Where did it go? I look up and see a couple of chute panels are torn, several shroud lines broken, and there's one large rip in the crown of the canopy. I'll come down a bit quicker than necessary, but there's not much altitude left anyway. Going to land in the infield, near show-center. Have to figure out the wind, get the chute collapsed fast so as not to be dragged. Heck! On the ground and being dragged already. Get the damn chute collapsed! Finally, I stand up, thinking I'm in one piece. And here comes a blue van with some of our guys in it.
Then it begins to sink in. In 14 years and 1,000-plus air shows, the Team has been clever enough to do all its metal-bending in training, out of
sight. This is our first accident in front of a crowd and the honor is mine. I gather my gear and climb into the van. Somebody wants to take me
immediately to the base hospital, but I say, "Let's go over and tell the ground crew I'm OK." So we stop, I get out of the van, shake hands, toss the
crew chiefs an insincere thumbs-up. Jimmy Stewart is still there and comes over to say nice things, but Raquel hasn't stayed for the show, so no
air-kiss. I'd given our narrator, Mike Miller, some ad-libbing lines to do in the middle of his presentation, and he stops to say maybe we should leave "that thing, whatever it is," out of the show sequence. That's when I learn I'd pulled the wings off the airplane.
On most modern fighters, the wings are well behind the pilot. You can see them in the rearview mirror or if you look back, but otherwise they're not
in your field of view. Of course, I had been watching the Diamond, ahead and well above me. I hadn't seen the wings come off. All I knew was the airplane blew up.
The F-100 has a large fuel tank in the fuselage, on top of the wing center section and forward of the engine. When the wings folded, a large quantity of raw fuel from that tank dumped into the engine, which exploded. The shock wave from the blast propagated up the air intake and blew the nose off, removing the first 6 ft. of the airplane. The tail of the jet also was badly damaged, liberating the drag chute. As it came fluttering down, some in the crowd thought my personal parachute had failed. After it exploded, the engine started pumping flames through the
cockpit-pressurization lines. Conditioned air enters the cockpit at the pilot's feet and behind his head. My flying boots, ordinarily pretty shiny
for an ROTC grad, were charred beyond repair. I never wore them again. Where I had rolled my collar underneath to protect show-suit appearance, my neck got toasted.
I have no idea how fast I was traveling at ejection. I was certainly barely subsonic when the wings failed, but with the nose blown off, the F-100 is a fairly blunt object and would have slowed quickly. On the other hand, I remained with the aircraft no more than a second or two after it exploded,
so there wasn't time to decelerate much. When I came out of the jet, windblast caught my helmet, rotated it 90 deg. and ripped it off my head. It
was found on the ground with the visor down, oxygen mask hooked and chin strap still fastened. As the helmet rotated, a neck strap at the back rubbed the burned part of my neck, causing some bleeding. The Team keeps a zero-delay parachute lanyard hooked up during the air show,
giving us the quickest possible chute deployment. That explained why my chute opened fast–too fast, as it turned out. I didn't get enough
separation from the seat, which somehow contacted my parachute canopy, causing the large tear. The immediate, high-speed opening was certainly harsher than normal, and as my torso whipped around to align with the chute risers, the heavy straps did further damage to the back of my neck, the body part apparently singled out for retribution. Walking into the base hospital, I'm startled by my image in a full-length mirror. Above, a sign says: "Check Your Military Appearance." Mine looks like I've crawled into a burlap bag with a mountain lion. The white show suit is a goner, the cockpit fire having given it a base-coat of charcoal gray accented by blood and a final dressing of dirt, grass and sagebrush stain. Being dragged along the ground accounts for the camouflage, but I hadn't realized my neck was bleeding so much They keep me in the hospital overnight. The Team visits, and Mike Miller smuggles in a dry martini in a half-pint milk carton. Everybody's leaving for Nellis AFB the next morning. I tell the hospital staff I'm leaving, too, and ask our slotman, Jack Dickey, to pack my stuff at the motel. The 1967 show season is over.
After I jumped out, my aircraft continued on a ballistic trajectory, scattering parts and equipment along the extended flight path. Most of the
engine and the main fuselage section impacted about 2 mi. downrange from my initial pull-up spot. All the bits and pieces landed on government soil, and there was no injury or property damage. My aircraft was destroyed–I signed a hand-receipt for $696,989–but if there is a good kind of accident, this was it. Nobody was hurt, and all the scrap metal was collected for post-game analysis.
The F-100's wings mate into a box at the center of the fuselage, the strongest part of the airplane. When my aircraft's wing center box was
inspected, it was found to have failed. North American Rockwell, the manufacturer, tested the box on a bend-and-stretch machine, and it broke
again at an equivalent load of 6.5 g for the flight condition I was at when the wings departed. It shouldn't have happened, since the F-100's positive load limit is 7.33 g, but my F-100's wing center box broke along a fatigue crack, and there were about 30 more cracks in the vicinity.
Some then-recent F-100 losses in Vietnam looked suspiciously similar. The recovery from a dive-bomb pass is a lot like my high-speed, high-g pull-up into the Bomb Burst. In the Vietnam accidents, the pieces had not been recovered, and the aircraft were written off as combat losses.
Later, specialists discovered considerable fatigue damage in the wing center boxes of other Thunderbird aircraft. USAF immediately put a 4 g limit on the F-100 and initiated a program to run all the aircraft through depot modification to beef up the wing center box. My accident almost certainly
saved lives by revealing a serious problem in the F-100 fleet. Gen. Merrill A. (Tony) McPeak flew F-100, F-104, F-4, F-111, F-15 and F-16
fighters, participated in nearly 200 air shows as a solo pilot for the Thunderbirds and flew 269 combat missions in Vietnam as an attack pilot and
high-speed forward air controller (FAC). He commanded the Misty FACs, 20th Fighter Wing, Twelfth Air Force and Pacific Air Command, and completed his career as the 14th USAF chief of staff.
Dennis (Downwind) Meyer Taxied into soft dirt in Animas airport; bent prop
Bob Miles landed at wrong airport–American Falls, some miles short of  Pocatello…. Also did same at military base in New Zealand looking for the civil field.
Ted Millar 1. Landed float plane at PDX with wheels retracted.
 2.  Started helicopter with the rotor tied down
3. Ted Millar incident. 7/16/2015. First flight just out of annual. Aircraft mechanic’s 9 year old son along for a ride. Took off north to south on runway at Aurora. Complete engine failure seconds after liftoff. Runway to spare so he put it down rather hard causing one wheel strut to break which then groundlooped the airplane. Nobody hurt. Engine not damaged further. Wingtip and landing gear assembly damaged. Parts coming from New Zealand. Again largely a mechanical difficulty actually handled rather well by the pilot. HAFAS accepted graciously. Takeaway thought: Careful always of surprises on first flight after annual or mechanical check.
Hal Morley 1. raised the gear on Yak before take off at Madras; ELT activated in hangar 2003; 2. Set off his ELT alarm and CAP traced it to his hangar
Bud Morrison (Deceased) Wheels up Mooney Mite at Scappoose
Greg Mottau Narrowly averted gear up landing with Hoff at Aurora.  Backed plane into hangar and dinged the tail.
John Noordwijk  Prop strike w crosswind landing c new Cirrus. August 04
Bill Owen  Called cops from the tower to report suspicious person on hangar roof who turned out to be furnace repairman.
Damaged John Tragis’ Cessna 182 while instructing at the old Mulino airport.
Herm Parsons (Deceased)  Dropped a wheel off the runway and ground looped
Jim Perkins  Landed nose gear first at night at Newberg; Dinged prop hard, added  power, ran off the end and down the ravine. Wrecked Mooney/Hurt his lady  Miraculously did not burn.
Dick Peyran   nose gear collapsed landing after emergency extension Trinidad at UBG.
Whit Pierson (Deceased) Wheels up in a Mooney Mite at Pearson. Hans Walther was
the  real culprit. This was the origin of the award.
Guy Pratt Talking crazy to the fuel line man
Guy Pratt is 43 in 2008. He was born deaf or became deaf as an infant, but has no other known congenital anomalies nor measles stigmata. When I first knew him his speech was all but unintelligible and he had no hearing at all. Modern technology has made a huge difference and he is easily conversant now with implants and hearing aids.  All of this is since 2002 when he had a serious misunderstanding that ended up astounding the whole metropolitan Portland area. Guy had a Stinson airplane which had no radio—he certainly could not have used one if it had. He kept it at Evergreen Airport which had no radio and no fuel availability either, so he flew it to Scappoose Airport which had no radio to get fuel from time to time. It was shortly after 911 when he went to Scappoose to get fuel late one afternoon and had some sort of conversation with the person there who pumps the fuel into airplanes. He paid for his gas and flew back to Evergreen, put the Stinson in the hangar and went to dinner later in the evening. Next morning he found he was a notorious celebrity, the FAA took away his credentials to fly and he was sent to psychiatric evaluation.
After Guy left to fly back to Evergreen, the gas attendant at Scappoose reflected on their conversation. The more he thought about it, the more worried he became. He couldn’t have been sure what guy had said, because Guy’s speech was so hard to understand, but the conversation had touched on the subject of flying airplanes into buildings as had recently happened in New York and Washington. The more he thought, the more troubled he became, so he called his boss. About an hour had gone by, but he thought he better talk to his boss, so he wouldn’t be accused of not reporting. The boss was appalled. He thought if somebody is going to fly an airplane into the tall bank building in Portland, the FAA ought to know about it. He called the FAA. (FSDO?)
The FAA person having a report of a threat to fly an airplane into “Big Pink” as the bank building is known in Portland, called someone in the air force. The report of an incipient catastrophe was magnified at each stage and the local air force person reached a Brigadier in the Pentagon. The air force general in the pentagon knew what to do with a report that a rogue airplane was flying toward Portland’s tallest building –launch the F-15s. The Stinson could fly to downtown Portland in less than 5 minutes from Scappoose airport. At least a couple of hours had now passed since Guy’s plane had been safely stored in its hangar over at Evergreen, but nobody had a timeline on this thing. The Air National Guard at Portland airport had two F-15s off the deck inside of 15 minutes. I have that from the Colonel who commanded the squadron at the time. They went to 1500 feet in afterburner and called their control, which had just been informed that a plane was headed for downtown Portland to do damage. One sweep of the radar, and they had a target. “230 degrees, angels one, BUSTER!” Still in burner the two 15s turned for downtown at a thousand feet.
Now comes the part that is simply incomprehensible. A movie company had obtained permission from the city fathers in Portland to torch off a tanker truck full of gasoline in the railroad yards just north of town, and did so just as it got good and dark, and dark was just what day had become as the two air force jets passed over Portland. BOOM! Great pictures. But nobody told the pilots. Lead says “Did you see that?” Wingman says, “We’re too late!” They swung south still in burner at 1000 feet, emptying houses full of frightened citizens into the streets at suppertime. Below Lake Oswego they reversed course and came roaring back up to Portland. By then there was nothing more to see and Control told them to secure and go home, which they did. It all came out the next day, but nobody could be sure what Guy had said. Did he make a threat or not? Cooler heads eventually prevailed, but he was sent to psych evaluation to be sure. He’s still shook up from what happened to him in all his innocence. I think you can be assured he has no mental illness. And I was amazed at how his deafness has been overcome in 2008 with new implants since I had last met him in 2003. He still has to watch you speak to “hear” what you are saying, but his own speech is clearly articulated now.
Doug Pratt (Deceased) (Guy’s father) (Mortician who did a lot of practical jokes on his friends over many years—they were laying for him) Failed to clear customs coming back from Canada at Boeing field. Follow-up story: the guys had a lawyer call him up next week and grill him for an hour pretending to be a treasury agent. At the end, thanked him for his cooperation, and said, “As you know the penalty for failing to clear is $10,000 fine, confiscation of the aircraft and a year in jail. In view of your cooperative attitude we will not ask for the year in jail. You’ll be hearing from us.” And rang off. They played the tape of that call two weeks later when he next came to club dinner.  “It was you sonsabitches all the time!” said a relieved Doug.
Renny Price’s incident. June 2015  He volunteered to fly a friend’s taildragger airplane which had been laid up and not flown for a long period of time. It was the first flight since annual. It failed to start on the first try and responded on the second try while the throttle was in idle with a full 260 horsepower since the carburetor was open to 60% position in idle. The aircraft rotated about its wheel base and the prop struck the ground though the brakes held. Wooden prop disintegrated but none of the 10 idlers standing watching was injured by the flying debris. Very lucky there. Asked for a takeaway thought, Renny could only say nobody takes a carburetor apart on preflight check. Bottom line: mechanical failure in an airplane unused over a protracted period of time. HAFAS graciously accepted with a smile.
Mike Reese (deceased) & Walt Swan didn’t secure the props on King Air at Napa and they windmilled.
Vasily Reshetnikov (Russian cosmonaut)   Landed at German-held airfield, (from which he had departed earlier when it was in Russian hands); Took off again — under fire
Sam Richardson flew into a cow 8/13/01 landing in a pasture a Lake Amphibian that was losing power.
Don Riddle (Deceased) Landed a Queen Air in the river departing from Portland
Bob Rullman (Deceased)
Dick Rutan Deadstick landed air force flying club Cessna 152 in tomato field and hit irrigation ditch and tipped over while instructing the squadron flight surgeon. “I have never made a mistake flying an airplane—and you can take that to the bank.”
Back in the 1990s when Jeana Yeager and Dick Rutan flew nonstop around the world in an ultra light we had them up to talk about it. (Actually we filled a basketball stadium for them and cleared $17,000. of which we paid them $10,000.)  During cocktails and before dinner at the club afterwards our president of that year asked Dick if he had ever screwed up flying a plane?  Now Dick is a VERY arrogant man, and indeed considers himself the best pilot who ever lived. And he has no sense of humor about that at all. Moreover, he was being mad and insulting at his former girlfriend who he openly accused of not keeping up her end of the flying duties on their flight. While he was scorning her, she manifested her heartache by clearly adoring him. So his reply was in character, “Hey, I’ve heard about your goddam propeller and you ain’t hanging that sombitch on me. I have never made a mistake flying an airplane and you can take that to the bank!” The subject was abruptly changed.
But not forever. After supper he was reintroduced, and his own words were quoted back to us all, which raised a murmur of undertone remarks. Our president laughingly inquired if there was anyone here who knew anything to the contrary, and a hand shot up in the back of the room.
“Who are you?”
“I’m Dr Somebodyorother from Sacramento.”
“Are you a pilot?” (A member or prospective member must hold a pilot’s license)
“No, I’m a pediatrician. I set out to be a pilot once, but I never became a pilot. I’m a member’s guest.”
(Well, it was a set up job prepared weeks in advance, and Dick stepped into the minefield.)
“Better you come up front here and take the microphone and tell us your story.”
He told us he had gone to Medical School at government expense and the payback was to be two years at Beale AFB as a flight surgeon. When he got there he bethought himself to become a pilot and joined the base flying club. They owned a Cessna 150. When he had paid his dues he went down to the hangar and inquired for a pilot to teach him to fly it. He was told “LT Rutan is our best pilot” (He had people saying that even then.)
Rutan peered at him and expostulated, “I remember you!”  That brought down the house with anticipation.
He told us it was on the second flight. He was showing me that you push forward and it goes down and you pull back and it goes up, when, BANG, the engine quit and the prop wind milled ineffectively. The crankshaft had broken. The engine had doubtless been sorely abused in the recent past. The lieutenant said, “I’ve got it.” and turned for the field. But it was too far to glide and he had to pick a cultivated field. He picked a tomato field. “Do you fellows know about tomato fields? They irrigate them in California. The lieutenant put that plane right down a row of tomatoes and didn’t touch one. He had the nose wheel in the center between plants and the main gear straddling two other rows. All went well till we came to the irrigation ditch and we broke off the nose wheel and went right over on our back. This Japanese farmer came running out of the house with his Polaroid camera, and took our picture, and yelled about all the damage we would have to pay for, but we assured him he would be compensated by the government and to put in a big bill. So he took us up to the house and gave us coffee and they came and got us from the base.”
“Well, wouldn’t you give just anything to have a copy of the photo he took with you here tonight?” And, indeed, they did. Two sheepish looking guys climbing out of the wreck of the overturned Cessna. It was pulled out from behind a screen, blown up big as the second coming of Christ, and all the guys set up a howl to “hang it on the half-assed son of a bitch!” –which is the cry that has always accompanied the award. He protested that he had done an excellent job, but the lads were having none of that, and he was draped with it, and photographed again. Years later I met a friend of his who told me he was still aggrieved over the occasion. “I’m never going back to Portland again; those guys hung their dirty propeller on me!”
Bryan Sanderson Supercub blown into a tree on landing
Frank Schmidt Jr. He says he can’t remember.
Frank Schmidt III Took off with aileron locks on Sept 04. Put it back on the runway just out of ground effect. Refused the prop award; quit the club.
Roger Smith Night Ditching North Atlantic due to fuel starvation 8/25/1957 in AD5W Angered the RADM CARDIV by making fun of the air boss whose drunken behavior was the cause of the foul up
Gordon Snow
Phil Spencer landed wheels up at Aurora 1/2011
Bill Stanyer 1. Busted Camp David Prohibited Area VFR in Malibu (He avoided the restricted area above 5000 feet by going below it at 4500. And when he heard them calling him on the radio, went silent, descended below radar coverage, changed heading, Flew to uncontrolled fields all the way home to Portland and paid cash for gas.) (They knew he did it but could never prove it.)
2. Climbed to 20,000 feet in Malibu with pressurization out; Passed out; Fred Koch, copilot, descended back down. Then presented FAA examiner with an altered medical
Roger Stenbock 1. Taxied into a student pilot’s plane (on the same day we got him back his medical);
2. Nosed up a Pacer.
Tom Stevenson dinged wing on camper while taxiing to hangar 7/2012
After turning into pad across from my hanger to park and setting brakes I found plane at an adverse angle. I noted a pickup with canopy parked as usual beside pad. With the newly planted forest next to the hangers, and in front of it, I was cautious in not getting too close. When adjusting the RPM's for shut down, the pickup canopy was instantly moved rearward by the propwash forces and impacted next to the right wing tip. This action resulted in a very small, yet now most embarrassing, dent in the wing – but not even a scratch on the canopy.
Dan Streimer Landed gear up
Ken Sunderland  Cessna tail bitten by his dog chasing take off at his own field. Hawaiian airlines pilot. Died 9/2013
Stan Swan 1.Wheel collapse. 2. Bent wing on a hangar door.
Walt Swan Autorotation accident
Jim Theda Low pass at Troutdale
Al Timberman Took off without calling PDX tower at Vancouver-Pearson. Cited by FAA
George Wallace (2)   Inverted his Float plane at Tscha Lake; Ran out of gas in SeaBee                                 taking off fm McMinnville. He dip sticked it with engine running & thought there was moré in the tank.
John Wallace
Roger Watson gear up Aurora in 421 1/03
Steve Welter, gear collapse on Archer
Tom Whitney Got out of the airplane with engines running. No incident
Dave Wiley (Deceased)  Flew glider into Power lines at Eagle airport. Blacked out 2000 homes.       
Rick Williams 1. Taxiied into the picnic area with his Bellanca and blew everybody’s picnic off the tables with is propwash at TJ Beck’s 6/28/2012;
2. Clipped the VASI landing at HIO 7/2012
John Williford Gear up at John Wayne Airport. Too close to plane ahead, retracted gear, changed mind, put handles for gear & flaps down together. Only flaps deployed.
Norm Willis took off with canopy unlocked and lost canopy
Jim Yoes got lost in BC
Bill Zurcher 1.  (Jake Jacobson co-pilot) landed float plane wheels up at Lenhart’s during the CAA short field landing contest, thus winning same (Aceing out Scott Gustafson who really did win it) though he was not an official competitor and didn’t know the contest was in progress.)
2. 2/15/02 Flipped his plane in snow bank landing on ice
Need to add
Rick Williams
Tom Stevenson